Monday, March 17, 2008

Week 3 at School - never ending work

Needa update badly. Ha. There's so many things that happened! Just wanna share... :)

Last Friday we had our first Hall Formal Dinner - 'Under The Stars'! Ha. It's named so because it was outdoors at our hall courtyard. Great food (shucks. forgot to take pictures) and a GREAT band - clearway. Check out the big family picture that we took! :)


We did the 'twist' pose cos' Tara said that we had to do our signature Asian thing in the picture with her. She's aussie, but she looks Asian! Can you spot her in the picture? (no prizes for guessing right. ha) She's cool. Plays mahjong and even brought a set over! So some of us play sometimes... Heh. Not that far from home eh?

I didn't take a picture of the band, but i did take some videos.. I'm not gonna upload cos i gotta pay for each megabyte i use. Ha. But the drummer (name's Christian) was REALLY good! I was like staring at him play almost the whole time. Check out the website. www.clearwayrocks.com They play other ppl's songs, but the lead singer's voice is kinda husky and unique as well. Many of the gals were screaming! Haha. Not cos of him, but cos of the great songs they play even with such a small band. Only 3 of them on Friday. Really inspired me to not give up on drums. Even though i haven't been practicing at all. And i don't have Doyle anymore... :( I think i shall head to the music room today.. and try to make it a habit of practicing more often.

Have been visiting a church called 'The Edge' this few weeks. And somehow, it seems that the stuff i read about during quiet time keeps coming up during the sermons. Ohhh... I really learn lots. It's like an word-packed sermon. I LIKES. Seem to be tearing alot during Praise and Worship and even during sermon time. Presence of God so real? Every word / lyric seems to speak to me more cos i'm 'alone' here and really have to rely on him even more? Curiosity and need of knowledge about God expanding? Think it's all of the reasons added together.

Anyway, question time. Who thinks I'm easily anxious and get stressed very easily? Tag your answer!!!

Coupled with the fact that i'm not very independent + try to be a perfectionist + always over ambitious, i was so stressed over the fact that i've got to hand in my 2 theology essays by the 20th April, and the final one on the 15th June. ARgh. I only received my material on 7th March, and found out that i needed to get my textbook, if not i couldn't start. *PRAYED* Called up the college and managed to find some info about where to get the textbook. (They don't sell it) *PRAYED somemore* Went to Unibooks (uni's text book/bookstore) and was glad to find out that they could order one for me, cos firstly it's a super old book and secondly, they don't have it in stock. Said that it'll come in by next week. This was Friday, 7 March. Was abit anxious by Tues, 11 March and went back to Unibooks and check for my book. The assistant said that there was 'No Such Book'!!! OMG. Stressed. *PRAYED MORE* Checked two online book websites. Both didn't have my book. But managed to find out from the college one bookstore in Adelaide that does. So i ordered it through post. But i was still anxious. In my material, it said that i had 20 weeks to finish my module, but i counted from the time i got my material to the last assignment date, it's only like 12 weeks? And i'm supposed to spend like 140hrs for it. So it's... abt 10+ hours per week, including doing assignments. ARGH. Anyway, i kept waiting.. but till thursday it didn't come. ARGH. STRESSED. I started praying.......... that God would let it come through the mail on Friday cos i really needed to start soon. Was so worried (cos i know how slow the system can be here) that i couldn't really concentrate on studying my other work for the night and started doing push-ups and sit-ups to get rid of my anxiousness, while praying at the same time.....

Well, that was before dinner time. And guess what? God answered my prayer on the very same day itself! I didn't even have to wait for Friday. He got some friends to help me out and turns out that there was 1 copy of the text in the library (not-main campus one)!!! It's only on a 7 day loan. But still... i could start that very night. OMG. Can't believe it. PRAISE God!

Ok. It sounds like i'm over dramatising it, but i'm not. I really was worried and afraid. And God was there to pull me out of the 'depths'. My loan's till this thursday. And my text hasn't come in through the mail. So i'm still praying that it will sooooooooooon. But i know God's gonna provide.

Even before my textbook episode, i got the material and realised that i didn't bring my study bible over, cos they recommended that i have one for reference. So i was like.. Shucks. Would i have to buy one here? *PRAYED* When i went out with Priscilla (Moses's Koh's friend, studying in Adelaide Uni now, knew her when Moses Koh and gf, Yoshi came back to Spore and i went to his place to learn how to make POWERFUL pandan chiffon cake and cheesecake from his Famous Mother), i found out she stopped leading in OCF for this year, and she was willing to lend me her study bible!!! And it was the same one which i used at home! So i was familiar with it. PRAISE God!

I'm not the only one stressed already. Today, 2 ppl in my unit were crying over different *stressed* stuff. I won't divulge, but i don't know why, i just was able to comfort them and give them abit of encouragement. Even though i know it's not much, but it was all that i could do at that very point. Shall pray more for them, (God's the only powerful help i have with me) and maybe cook for one of them during more weekends, so that she has more time for stuff. And well, i kinda learnt 2 things. First, (like what i just wrote in my MOH scholarship essay about my values and beliefs) I wanna be excellent in what i do now, and not have any regrets later! Secondly, I'm not alone in being stressed or not able to finish my work. Studying's never ending! I find myself trying so hard to be consistent now... (cos i never was last time. haha. ) but i'm reading my texts, and trying to understand all that i need. Not just the required syllabus. I know this may sound stupid to most of you. But i tend to take a different stand at uni now. Last time, it was all about PSLE, O and A levels. Now it's more of studying to understand, and to gain knowledge. So i want to do above and beyond the syllabus, cos it's what i'll need when i go out to work next time, or the information that may one day come in handy when i interact with others along the way.

So there. I've got more to share, but i need to get back to finishing my chapter on bio. Everyone knows everything about cells already. I'm way behind cos i didn't take it at A levels.

Anyway, read a chapter of 'Winning with People' by John Maxwell during lunch just now. Just have a question for all my readers! I shall be courageous and get 'mirror' answers. Was just doing abit of reflections, esp after these few things that have happened. From what you know about me, do any of my practices / habits cause me more harm than good? Be honest! Hope many will tag for me. :)

And in terms of 'Intro to Health Professions', since we learnt about Health, not just being physically, but wholistically - spiritually, emotionally, psychologically etc.

Arthur Glenn Clark advises, "If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and tears."
(Mind wanders off and remembers him... Oh well. Still haven't talked / seen him here.)

According to John Maxwell (2004, pg 30),
"Healthy people are...
more willing to change.
more willing to admit failure.
more willing to discuss issues.
more willing to do something about the problem.
able to travel light." 1

Bibliography
1. Maxwell, John 2004, Winning with People: Discover the winning principles that work for you every time, Thomas Nelson, Inc, Nashville, Tennessee

(haha. just did Harvard Referencing Quiz. Must try to put into practice)

1 comment:

Prissy said...

Hey Mel, no need to panic la.. I think I m in a bigger fix than u.. My readings r super duper behind cos they teach so fast n many assignments due.. Next week my literature review and my virology report are due and I havent started much.. Its always the case.. so relax..hehe.. My neurobio paper A is due 2 weeks from now as well and that is worth 30% so its obviously killing..
Haiz.. Cant enjoy the Easter weekend or go for any trips.. Things r topping over my head..Argh! Relax.. u r way better off than me..hehe..Take care.. See u soon!